Visual studio 2005

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Hello,

Is there any chance that a version compiled for vs 2005 will be released? The addin looks promising but in my workplace we use vs 2005 and it looks like we are not going to upgrade anytime soon...

Edit: Would it be just recompiling with the right sdk? I haven't ever worked with addins so i don't know too much about it...

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for reporting this. I know this is an issue. It would be nice but i don't hold a VS 2005. I have not investigate exactly what need to be changed in NShader in order to work properly with VS 2005.

I know that the registry root should at least be changed in several places in the project (in NShader.cs for example, you have the following : [DefaultRegistryRoot("Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\9.0")]. Instead of 9.0, should be 8.0)

The most complex part is building the msi, as there are quite a few things to change. I have also to migrate the wxi installer to 3.0 in order to support easier installation among several VS configs.

In the next release (i'm working fulltime on another project right now, until the end of 2009 i guess), i could improve this in order to add this support (as well as adding support to VS 2010, which is more important to me) but i won't be able to test it (for VS 2005)

So stay tuned or if you can't wait, try to do it yourself with the sources.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Well, I'm not in a hurry, but I'll take a look to the source and check what needs to be changed if I have time. Sadly I don't think I will because I'm working fulltime in a project too.

Anyway, I'll post it if I make any progress.

Coordinator
May 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Concerning VS2005 support, a VS2005 is mandatory to perform some fix, run, test and reference the correct assemblies (that are probably not the same with VS2008).

It's probably not a huge work, requires just a slight change in NShader file as said before.... and in the Wix project setup (which is now integrated in the msbuild process, so that should be easier to patch).

But as I don't have any VS2005 here, I'm not able to perform this port. If anyone is able to do it, I would be glad to integrate the patch!