modified for use with OpenCL kernels

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Hi,

i modified the nshader 1.2 source to work with OpenCL source files.

I have to say this project is _horrible_ to work with. I had to modify the NShaderVS2010.csproj by hand to include the new files in the vsix file. Then it is currently impossible to uninstall this extension besides deleting the files by hand. This is another issue... there are two places where the extension is places (program files/.../Visual Studio... AND my profile). 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3138369/nshader12_opencl_modified.7z

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM
chris_lux wrote:

Hi,

i modified the nshader 1.2 source to work with OpenCL source files.

I have to say this project is _horrible_ to work with. I had to modify the NShaderVS2010.csproj by hand to include the new files in the vsix file. Then it is currently impossible to uninstall this extension besides deleting the files by hand. This is another issue... there are two places where the extension is places (program files/.../Visual Studio... AND my profile). 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3138369/nshader12_opencl_modified.7z

Thanks for OpenCL patch, I'll integrate it asap.

Concerning the vsix file to update by hand, I assume that you are talking about pkgdef file? This is a bug in VS2010 that doesn't generate and include this file in the final vsix. It's the only way I have found so far to make it working. I agree that It is not perfect, but as this project is a simple port of a VS2008 Language Service extension, It is not as well as integrated as a pure new VS2010 addin.

Also, concerning the problem to uninstall the plugin, you have to run VS2010 in admin mode in order to remove the plugin. This was the only way for me to support install from domain profile user account. Unless you have another option?

Latest version 1.2 should no longer be installed on the profile but only in Program Files/.../VisualStudio...etc. (that's why It is asking administrator privilege for installing AND desinstalling). I don't have any NShader files under profile, so you might have another issue on your machine.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I solved the problem in your NShader 1.1 source code in the NShader.pkgdef file by using the TEMP environment variable to resolve the path to the local profile. This works with domain profiles.

"CodeBase"="%TEMP%\\..\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\Extensions\\Alexandre Mutel\\NShader\\1.1\\NShader.dll"

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I remember, but TEMP directory is not really a viable and standard way of installing a VS extension (or whatever is referenced by a registry/install process)